Corporate Business Solutions understands that today’s business marketplace is ultra-competitive, which leads to many professionals constantly looking for great business opportunities. However, it’s very important that employees realize the significance of damaging their reputations and / or burning bridges. You never know where your path will take you and who you’ll meet (or see again) along the way!
If you’re planning on leaving your job in the near future, here are tips that may help ensure a positive parting:
- Notify your boss in-person – Although every situation will vary, it is generally better to tell your boss in-person rather than sending an email or leaving a letter.
- Give plenty of notice – A two-week notice is the norm, but employees with a specific skill set should give a more advanced warning.
- Don’t feel obligated to give a reason – You don’t have to provide details of why you’re leaving or where you are going. However, if you and your boss have a good relationship, you may consider offering constructive criticism on how to make the employee atmosphere better.
- Avoid emotional outbursts – Eventually, you may need an endorsement from your manager. Launching into a tirade may feel good for the moment but it can definitely come back to haunt you later.
- Don’t leave your employer in a bind – If you’re in the midst of an important project, you may want to consider staying longer to finish your original commitments.
- Finish with a strong performance – Not only may you need an endorsement from your boss but you may need a positive reference from a co-worker. Therefore, you always want to finish a job with motivation and integrity.
- Keep colleagues updated – It’s always best to let your co-workers know in advance, so they’re not stunned with an empty chair in your absence.
- Show gratitude – Be sure to thank any individuals who were instrumental in your success. You can verbally thank them or write them a personal letter and detail how the relationship impacted you in a positive way.
To learn more about us and / or to schedule your complimentary appointment with the business experts at Corporate Business Solutions, call us at 877-357-9366.